Out-Of-State Drivers

Wake County Attorney for Out-of-State Drivers

Legal Support for Non-Resident Drivers in North Carolina Courts

Drivers from outside of North Carolina who receive traffic violation tickets in the state face a range of serious legal and economic challenges in both North Carolina and their home state. So, a North Carolina traffic ticket will not lose its consequences just because you leave the state. Under the Interstate Violator Compact Act, the state of North Carolina will report any moving violations you’ve committed in the state to your home state.

Every state has its own way of handling traffic violations, so you may naturally feel confused or unsure about North Carolina’s process. It can be even more of a nuisance to have to return to North Carolina to deal with your case in court. This is where Lawrence J. Kissling III, PLLC, can help. Out-of-State traffic tickets do not have to cause you major inconvenience and expense. In most cases, Attorney Lawrence J. Kissling III can appear on your behalf, and you will not have to return to North Carolina to resolve your ticket.

Do you live in another state but are currently facing traffic charges in North Carolina? Call Lawrence J. Kissling III, PLLC, today at (919) 346-7927 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with our Raleigh out-of-state drivers attorney.

What Happens If I Get a Ticket in Another State?

A traffic ticket or suspended license in North Carolina is recognized in every other state. If you are a non-resident license holder and have been issued a traffic ticket, you must follow the procedures of the North Carolina traffic court or face consequences impacting your driving privileges in your home state. In particular, if you fail to appear for a North Carolina ticket, the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles will notify your home state, who will likely revoke your driving privileges until you resolve the matter. 

There are a few different ways you can resolve a traffic violation in North Carolina, and Attorney Kissling can provide more detailed insight based on your situation. Generally, it is not the most efficient method to simply pay your fine and plead guilty when you have the chance to contest the charge in court and ask for a reduction instead.

Note that the National Driver Register (NDR) also keeps driving records of all individuals who have received a license suspension or serious traffic conviction in any state in the US. If you have been convicted in North Carolina, your charges will be reflected on your NDR record, and any state can access this information.

What Sets Us Apart From The Rest?

  • Focuses on Traffic Law
  • Handles Thousands of Cases per Year
  • More Than Three Decades of Expertise
  • Straightforward and Practical Advice
  • Did an awesome job taking care of my traffic violations!
    - Adam Young
  • Mr. Kissling is a great Traffic lawyer. Would recommend to anyone that needs a traffic lawyer in the Raleigh area.
    - E Torje
  • "They are timely and very customer friendly."
    These guys are awesome!!!!!!!! I recommend these guys to anyone in any situation. They are timely and very customer friendly.
    - Terrell Young
  • "Case was actually dismissed due to Larry's diligence"
    My minor speeding ticket was handled smoothly and I did not need to go to court. Case was actually dismissed due to Larry's diligence. Thanks again!!!
    - Lee Salzmann

    Contact Kissling Law Today!

    A member of our team will be in touch shortly to confirm your contact details or address questions you may have.

    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your phone number.
      This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
    • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy

    Waiver of Appearance For Out-of-State Ticket

    While a traffic ticket will schedule a court date for you to present your case, you do not actually need to go if you have a North Carolina attorney represent you instead. You can sign a “Waiver of Appearance” that allows you to waive your obligation to appear in court and have your lawyer go for you instead. 

    North Carolina is one of the stricter states when it comes to traffic violations, so you will want to put your best foot forward by hiring an experienced attorney. As a non-resident driver, you may also be less aware of your rights and duties as a driver passing through North Carolina and as you navigate the state’s traffic court system. Let Attorney Kissling appear in court on your behalf and save you the trouble of having to return to North Carolina to deal with a traffic ticket.

    It can be tempting to ignore out-of-state tickets, especially if you have no plans to return to North Carolina. However, as we’ve shown above, the cost and consequences can add up – even in your home state. If you live outside of North Carolina and received a speeding ticket or other traffic tickets on I-95, I-40, or another road or highway in North Carolina, do not hesitate to consult Lawrence J. Kissling III, PLLC, for legal assistance.

    Contact Lawrence J. Kissling III, PLLC, today to get started with our Wake County attorney for out-of-state drivers.